The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks,
and then starting on the first one.
~ Mark Twain
Mark Twain’s words remind me of several things when it comes to setting goals;
- Think BiG: Set big goals ….. Huge goals. Goals that fall in to the bracket of being BiG – Beautifully Inspiring Goals, a BHAG – a Big Hairy Audacious Goal, a HUG – a Huge Unbelievable Goal, or a PIP – a Perfectly Inspiring Promise (we’re more likely to keep a promise to ourselves than we are to hit a goal).
- The last thing we ever think about is HOW we get there. Just focus on What it is, When we want it and, most importantly of all, WHY we want it.
- Break that BiG goal down in to Stepping Stones – and break it down in to as many small stepping stones as we possibly can.
- In our planning, all we need to focus on is the very first step and what we need to do to get there.
- Take action and get started on that first step.
- Trust that, in the process of making that first step happen – which is moving us towards our BiG goal – what we need to do to make that second step happen will become clear.
- Plan for the second step and focus on what we need to do to get there.
- Trust that, in the process of making that second step happen – which continues to move us towards our BiG goal – what we need to do to achieve the next step will become clear.
- And so on!
By doing this, we never have to think about HOW we will achieve our BiG goal – until it’s just another small step.
Remember: If you’re going to think, you might as well Think BiG Thoughts!
Have a great day,